In Ayurvedic tradition, there are three mind-body types, which are known as ‘doshas’. These are Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Knowing your ‘dosha’ means you create a lifestyle that supports your unique nature, which can lead to enjoying a vibrant and enjoyable life.
The three dosha types express a unique blend of physical, mental and emotional characteristics which relates to a dynamic state of balance between your mind, body and the environment.
To find out your dosha and what it means for you, take our quiz below.
What’s your dosha type?
Make a note of how many times you answered 1, 2 or 3 and refer to the result below – Enjoy!
- 1. I am thin and slender with prominent joints and weak muscles.
- 2. I am medium sized, with a symmetrical build and I develop muscles well.
- 3. I am large, round or stocky with a broad, stout or thick frame.
- 1. I may forget to eat or lose weight quickly.
- 2. It’s easy for me to gain or lose weight if I put my mind to it.
- 3. I gain weight easily and have difficulty losing it.
- 1. My eyes are small in size and very active.
- 2. I have a penetrating gaze and tend to stare without realising.
- 3. I have large, pleasant eyes.
- 1. My skin is dry, rough or my skin is thinning.
- 2. My skin is warm, reddish, sensitive and prone to irritation.
- 3. My skin is thick, hydrated and smooth.
- 1. My hair is dry, brittle or frizzy.
- 2. My hair is fine with a tendency towards thinning out or going grey.
- 3. My hair is thick, curly and healthy.
- 1. My joints are thin and prominent and tend to crack.
- 2. I have loose, flexible joints.
- 3. My joints are large and padded.
- 1. I am a light sleeper with a tendency to awaken quickly.
- 2. I am a moderately sound sleeper, usually needing less than 8 hours a night.
- 3. My sleep is deep and long. It takes me a while to awaken in the morning.
- 1. My hands and feet are usually cold, and I prefer warmer climates and environments.
- 2. Regardless of where I am, I often feel warm. I am more comfortable in cooler climates.
- 3. I am adaptable to most temperatures but do not like cold, wet days.
- 1. I am lively and enthusiastic naturally, but I like to change.
- 2. I am purposeful and intense; I like to convince people.
- 3. I am easy going and accepting; I like to support people.
- 1. I become anxious and worry.
- 2. I become irritable and or/ aggressive.
- 3. I become withdrawn and reclusive.
Answered mostly number 1: Vata
Your qualities are cold, light, dry, and always changing.
If you answered predominantly number 1, then you behold Vata qualities. Movement and change are characteristics of your nature, and you always tend to be on the go. You’re full of energy, people would consider you ‘bubbly’, and you have a beautifully creative mind. If you keep Vata in balance, then you will continue to be lively and enthusiastic.
You have a thin and light body frame and impeccable agility and balance. You typically have dry skin and hair, as well as cold feet and hands.
If your Vata lifestyle becomes out of balance, you may feel like your mind is racing and things are getting out of control, which can lead to anxiety and insomnia, weight loss, weakness, restlessness, and digestive challenges. Take time to slow down, meditate, remember to eat properly, and get to bed at a regular time.
To balance Vata, bring warmth and stability into your life, get to sleep before 10 pm and eat your meals at a regular time.
Since Vata is drying and cooling, nutritional guidelines suggest keeping your Vata lifestyle balanced by eating foods that are oily, warming, or substantial. Avoid foods which are pungent, bitter, or astringent.
Answered mostly number 2: Pitta
Your qualities are hot, light, intense and sharp.
If you answered predominantly number 2, then your dosha is Pitta. You have a fiery nature which manifests in both your body and in your mind. You behold a high ability to concentrate. You’re a great decision maker, teacher and public speaker. You’re sharp-witted, quick to think and good at problem solving, but will often be very direct and outspoken.
If your dosha becomes out of balance, allow some time to adjust, rest, be careful not to create any pressures for yourself and laugh a lot, every day! Regularly spend time in nature, do not skip meals, favour foods that are sweet, bitter and astringent.
As your qualities may lead you to overheat the mind and body, eat cooler food like dairy produce, sweeter fruits such as grapes, melons, cherries, avocados, mangoes and reduce sour fruits such as grapefruits.
Answered mostly number 3: Kapha
Your qualities are heavy, slow, steady, solid, cold, and soft.
If you answered mostly number 3, then you are Kapha. You have a strong build and excellent stamina. You have beautifully large eyes, soft, smooth skin and thick hair. You will have a brilliant sleeping pattern and healthy digestion. When you’re out of balance, you may find you put on weight quickly, over-sleep, and suffer from asthma or depression.
You’re usually calm, thoughtful, kind and loving. Kaphas are strong, loyal, patient, independent and supportive. You like to make things last and be successful in anything you do such as in your job or relationship.
To balance Kapha, you need stimulation such as something new and exciting. Try introducing new sounds and experiences into your life. As well as trying something new, get regular exercise, remove clutter, stay warm and avoid being out in wet weather, use intoxicating aromas such as cloves, cinnamon, juniper and marjoram.
You should maintain a lively diet to keep yourself full of energy, eat lots of vegetables, reduce the intake of nuts and seeds, use small amounts of fats and oils and stock up on hot ginger tea to stimulate your digestion and sharpen dull taste buds.