Did you know that a number of organic herbs Pukka bought last year is the same weight as 188 elephants? And that they sold 312 million cups of delicious, organic, staple free, compostable, ethically traded herbal tea? That’s a lot of tea.
We know how much our customers love to drink Pukka tea (we would love to know how many of those 312 million cups came from you guys!). Pukka is not just about cultivating herbs and growing tea, as a brand they do everything possible to ensure they are a sustainable company and give back to nature and communities as much as they can. We wanted to share with you, the Pukka tea drinkers and supplement takers, a little more about their efforts and invited them to share with us their sustainability story so far. So get yourself your favourite cup of Pukka tea and get comfortable.
“Our mission is to inspire people to discover a more conscious life to benefit people, plants and planet. This philosophy starts at the very core of our business and ends up ultimately with the organic and fairly traded teas and supplements which they make.
We want to contribute to an abrupt change in the global problems of climate change, inequality and poverty – and this means taking an ethical and sustainable approach to everything we do. Here’s just a little snapshot of the uncompromising lengths we go to.
- All our teas and supplements are organic as we believe organic farming is not only better for the environment and our health, but also for the welfare of animals and our planet. Even the cotton string on our teabags is organic. (Did you know 2.4% of the world’s cropland is planted with cotton, and yet it accounts for 24% and 11% of the global sales of insecticide and pesticides respectively?)
- We give 1% of our turnover each year to environmental non-profit making organisations, enabling them to carry out their vital work to protect the environment. This is through a scheme called 1% for the Planet, and we’re one of a handful of companies in the UK to sign up.
- The increasing demand for wild plants – as ingredients for food, cosmetics, wellbeing and medicinal products – poses major ecological and social challenges. That’s why we aim to use FairWild certified ingredients wherever possible. FairWild guarantees that the plants we’re using from the wild have been harvested in a sustainable way and that the collectors have been paid fairly for their work.
- Last year we sourced a total of 753 tonnes of fairly traded certified raw materials. That’s the same weight of 188 elephants.
- Our HQ in Bristol, UK is carbon neutral signifying our continued commitment to reducing our carbon footprint in our offices and across our supply chain. We use 100% renewable energy in our offices and warehouse, and we have zero waste to landfill, helping to keep our operational footprint light.”
So Pukka’s Herbal teas and wellbeing supplements are not just good for you, they’re also good for people and the planet.
Drink organic by shopping here for Pukka